This training is part of the NYC Charter School Center’s “Be in the Know” Series and is free for NYC charter school employees.
The McKinney-Vento Act gives important educational rights to students experiencing homelessness. The Charter Center is hosting a free workshop, presented by NYS-TEACHS, to help charter schools understand how to meet these students’ needs and comply with federal and state laws and regulations, including changes as a result of the Every Student Succeeds Act of 2015 (ESSA).
Topics Covered Will Include:
- McKinney-Vento definitions: who is considered “homeless” under McKinney-Vento?
- How have schools changed under the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)?
- What are the budget implications of students in temporary housing (STH) regulations?
- Transportation and other school services for students in temporary housing
- Incorporating trauma-sensitive practices into school programs and policy
Attendees who stay for the duration of the training and complete an evaluation will receive credit for three (3) Social Work Contact Hours. To receive credit, attendees must register by January 18.