Website Compass Charter School
Forging Paths Together
2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
MISSION OF THE SCHOOL
Compass Charter School is a safe and nurturing educational environment that honors the individuality of each learner. By engaging in a process of inquiry, our graduates will be equipped with the necessary skills to lead fulfilling personal and professional lives, including a developed sense of self, the ability to think in innovative and flexible ways, and the inspiration to make a positive impact on their community.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SCHOOL
Compass Charter School is an inquiry-based, progressive elementary school that opened in the fall of 2014 in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. We are committed to providing an experiential and democratic elementary experience to all children, with intentional access for children who typically do not get access to progressive education (children with special needs, children from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and English language learners).
Our Integrated Curriculum centers sustainability in all forms: environmental, racial, and economic justice. Our staff works interdependently in collaborative teams and engages in professional inquiry (instructional coaching, reflection, restorative and trauma-informed practices). Compass enrolls approximately 330 students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade.
Compass Charter School is seeking reflective educators who are driven to provide a rigorous, justice-oriented educational experience to all children. Compass Classroom Co-Teachers are highly reflective, collaborative, curious, and bring joy to their work with students and colleagues. Classroom Co-Teachers work in collaboration with a Special Education Classroom Co-Teacher to co-plan and co-teach one class of students for two consecutive school years (looping). Classroom Co-Teachers engage fully in our professional development program, including instructional coaching, professional inquiry, and collaborative projects and committees.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred
- 3 or more years of relevant teaching experience preferred
- New York State Teacher Certification (Early Childhood Education or Early Childhood Special Education)
- Educational philosophy aligns with the mission and vision of Compass
- Previous success in raising academic achievement of students within an urban community
- Reflective practitioner in a state of constant professional growth and a willingness to share their craft with others
- Commitment to integrating sustainability and the arts into core curricular subjects
- Knowledge of the school neighborhood
- Experience with co-teaching preferred
- Experience working with children with special needs in an Integrated Co-teaching classroom preferred
- Experience planning and teaching interdisciplinary units of study preferred
- Commitment to and knowledge of experiential and inquiry-based teaching and learning
- Commitment to diverse learning environments
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience collaborating with children, families, colleagues, and administrators
- Collaborate with co-teacher, support staff, and school leaders to provide high-quality, relevant instruction to all children
- Actively participate in Compass professional learning community (PLC)
- Use a variety of assessments to measure student learning and drive instruction
- Use student performance data to tailor and differentiate instruction
- Collaboratively plan interdisciplinary units of study
- Commit to working with one class of students and the same co-teacher for two consecutive school years (looping)
- Actively participate in the school’s decision-making process regarding classroom interventions, curricular units of study, and school-wide initiatives
- Regularly communicate with families, students, and community partners
- Integrate the Compass CARES values into classroom culture, units of study, and interactions with staff, families, and students
- Integrate the real world and surrounding community into the curriculum
- Build and maintain positive relationships with students, families, and colleagues
- Maintain confidentiality with student information and records
- Create a positive and safe classroom culture and community
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package.
Salary range of 65K-127K commensurate with experience and education.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include CLASSROOM CO-TEACHER in the subject line of the email.
Your cover letter should include a statement of your educational philosophy and also state why you are interested in becoming part of the team at Compass Charter School.
If you have questions about this position, please email Brooke Peters, School Leader, at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org