Website Compass Charter School
Forging Paths Together
MISSION OF THE SCHOOL
Compass Charter School is a safe and nurturing educational environment that honors the individuality of each learner. By engaging in a process of inquiry, our graduates will be equipped with the necessary skills to lead fulfilling personal and professional lives, including a developed sense of self, the ability to think in innovative and flexible ways, and the inspiration to make a positive impact on their community.
DESCRIPTION OF THE SCHOOL
Compass Charter School is an inquiry-based, progressive elementary school that opened in the fall of 2014 in Fort Greene, Brooklyn. We are committed to providing an experiential and democratic elementary experience to all children, with intentional access for children who typically do not get access to progressive education (children with special needs, children from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, and English language learners).
Our Integrated Curriculum centers sustainability in all forms: environmental, racial, and economic justice. Our staff works interdependently in collaborative teams and engages in professional inquiry (instructional coaching, reflection, restorative and trauma-informed practices). Compass enrolls approximately 330 students in pre-kindergarten through fifth grade.
Compass Charter School is seeking a Social Worker to join our team. The Social Worker will work closely with students, staff, and families to provide supports that contribute to mental health, wellbeing, and the growth of social-emotional skills. We are looking for an experienced social worker whose expertise is collaborating with other professionals, managing and coordinating teams of people, and providing guidance and supervision to aspiring social workers. The Social Worker will also be a key member of our schoolwide MTSS Team and participate in schoolwide data analysis and problem solving. The Social Worker will also support students through mandated and intervention counseling services, family consultation, and collaboration with classroom teachers.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work required
- LMSW or LCSW in the state of New York required
- School Social Work Certification required
- 5 years of clinical experience as a social worker with elementary-aged children
- 5 years of experience working in an elementary school setting, preferred
- Experience leading professional development for staff required
- Able to oversee and manage multiple programs and projects simultaneously
- Educational philosophy aligns with the mission and vision of Compass
- Experience creating and implementing social-emotional curriculum
- Experience working with children with special needs
- Experience collaborating with children, families, colleagues, and administrators
- Skilled in collaborating with others
- Strong knowledge of child development
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Commitment to working with families from diverse backgrounds
- Knowledge of the school neighborhood and nearby social services
- Reflective practitioner in a state of constant professional growth and a willingness to share their craft with others
- Has own passions and interests
- Create and carry out a vision for the mental health program in collaboration with the Student Support Team at Compass
- Provide individual or group counseling services as mandated on student IEPs
- Provide individual or group counseling services to at-risk students with parent consent
- Support the social-emotional growth of students with special needs and at-risk students at Compass
- Develop, monitor, and analyze behavior intervention plans and data collection methodologies
- Regularly communicate with teachers about students on caseload and help to identify students who may benefit from counseling services
- Conduct risk assessment, crisis intervention and mediation as needed
- Conduct FBAs as needed
- Work closely with the leadership team to ensure compliance with IEPs
- Participate in Child Study Team meetings, MTSS meetings, and CSE meetings as needed
- Observe in classrooms to gather information about specific students and provide suggestions to teachers for how to incorporate strategies into the classroom
- Maintain confidentiality with student information and records
- Support student attendance improvement initiatives
- Ensure compliance in mandated reporting, confidentiality, and schoolwide policies
- Collaborate with the MTSS Team to design and implement school-wide social-emotional curriculum
- Provide social-emotional intervention as needed through MTSS process
- Provide mental health, social service, and wellness resources for families
- Communicate with families about student progress and provide community mental health referrals for families when requested
- Create and lead workshops for families surrounding social-emotional, parenting and mental health issues
- Collaborate with members of the Compass mental health team to provide professional development for teachers and school staff regarding mental health and social-emotional development
- Partner with local institutions of higher education to develop and manage a social work internship program at Compass
- Provide supervision to social work interns at Compass
- Actively participate in a professional learning community, including professional literature circles, peer coaching, reflection meetings, planning meetings, data meetings, and staff meetings
- Actively participate in the school’s decision-making process
- Regularly communicate with families, students, and community partners through phone, email, or face-to-face conversation
- Maintain positive relationships with students and staff
- Collaborate with teachers, directors, and leaders to plan and create a safe and nurturing school culture and community
- Support the school community with other duties upon request
Compass is a unionized charter school and the salary for this position ranges from 65K to 128K based on education level and years of experience.
Send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include SOCIAL WORKER in the subject line of the email.
Your cover letter should include a statement of your educational philosophy and also state why you are interested in becoming part of the team at Compass Charter School.
If you have questions about this position, please feel free to email Brooke Peters, School Leader, at email@example.com.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org