Inclusive Education Specialist, Collaborative for Inclusive Education
Website InclusiveEdNY Collaborative for Inclusive Education
Start Date: Immediate
Hybrid Role: Full-time (3 days remote, 2 days in-person)
Location: New York City
WHO WE ARE
The Collaborative for Inclusive Education, previously the NYC Special Education Collaborative, is an initiative of the New York City Charter School Center. Founded in 2011, the Collaborative is a nonprofit membership organization committed to supporting quality education programs for historically underserved students. A result of the merger between four independent borough-based special education co-operatives, the Collaborative currently serves more than 200 of NYC’s charter schools. We provide professional development, resources, on-the-ground coaching, virtual supports, and technical assistance to schools so that they can build and maintain the capacity to meet the needs of a diverse student population. Ultimately, we empower schools to develop high quality, inclusive educational programs that ensure equity and access for all.
We are seeking an Inclusive Education Specialist to coordinate and deliver supports for NYC charter schools, ultimately ensuring that they have the tools, resources, technical assistance, training, and collaboration necessary to successfully serve their school communities. The Specialist reports directly to and works closely with the head of the Collaborative for Inclusive Education. The individual who joins the Collaborative will have the opportunity to work with an exceptional team of highly collaborative colleagues committed to systems change and helping charter schools build their capacities to serve their communities inclusively and equitably.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Providing school-based feedback and support through classroom observations, modeling, coaching, and strategic planning with a portfolio of school teams across all five boroughs
- Developing and delivering trainings, organizing central professional development opportunities, and curating resources for schools on various special education topics
- Providing expert technical assistance for school teams on operating in compliance with national, state, and local special education and charter regulations
- Monitoring local, state, and national special education policy to advocate on behalf of charter school students with disabilities
In order to be successful in this role, an ideal candidate should demonstrate the following:
- Expertise in best instructional practices for students with disabilities, including specially designed instruction, Universal Design for Learning, culturally responsive-sustaining teaching, intervention techniques, modified curriculum, and IEP writing
- Expertise in special education compliance, including 504s, IEPs, SDI, MDRs, CSEs, etc.
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills, strong presentation delivery, and public speaking experience
- Ability to create strong and authentic relationships and to drive results with school leaders, special education leads, and teachers who support a diverse population of students
- Capacity to implement efficient systems and resources for supporting a large portfolio of schools that span all five boroughs
- Strong strategic-thinking skills: curiosity to solve complex problems and ability to think boldly to maximize new supports for individual schools and to scale practices for the charter sector at large
Experience and Educational Background
- Minimum of 4-5 years of experience as a special educator and at least 2 years as a special education lead working in an urban school, preferably in a NYC charter school
- A proven track record of exemplary gains with diverse student populations
- Experience observing instruction and providing feedback to create more inclusive environments
- Experience facilitating professional development and public speaking
What We Offer
The NYC Charter School Center offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical and dental insurance and a matching 401(K) plan.
How to Apply
Please email a PDF resume and cover letter to Edith Litt, Director of Administration, at firstname.lastname@example.org. When applying, please have your cover letter explain how our schools can benefit from your unique perspective, experiences, and skillset.
NYC Charter School Center’s VACCINATION POLICY
The NYC Charter School Center requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees, including a booster dose. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief will be considered in accordance with applicable law.
An Equal Opportunity Employer
It is the policy of the NYC Charter School Center to provide employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, age, marital status, disability, prior record of arrest or conviction (except as provided by law), sexual orientation, gender (sex) and to maintain an environment free of discriminatory harassment, including sexual harassment, or retaliation as required by civil rights law.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com